If you’ve been following me and Tater Tot for a while then you know his evolution of hair. If you haven’t let’s take a little walk down memory lane…
Yea, so it’s safe to say my baby went from “full and lucious” to “bald and beautiful” to “we’re just happy we have hair” to “Amen there’s some growth!”. During this evolution we’ve tried our fair share of baby hair products. I figured if anyone knows anything about hair it’d be us right? Here’s a list of our hair care products over time:
- Aveeno Shampoo- Though this one left Tate’s hair feeling soft it caused the rest of his skin to break out and we had to discontinue use.
- Shea Moistuer Raw Shea Chamomille and Argan- This entire combination (body wash and shampoo) smelt entirely too strong for my liking. After a few uses it also caused my baby’s skin to break out and had to be stopped.
- Mustela- So, not only did my baby battle with baldness but he battled with cradlecap something fierce. I’m convinced that was part of the reason for all the hair loss. After multiple uses with this shampoo and the cradle cap remover comb, we were able to say bye bye to the cradle cap… and a few strands of hair as well.
- Cetaphil- We love this product. I constantly get so many compliments on how soft Tate’s skin is and its all thanks to this body wash and shampoo combination. It also leaves his hair smelling nice and fresh!
- Cradle cap remover- This was a godsend! As hard as it was, I couldn’t pick at it every day and that made it worse. So once I was gifted this little tool by a fellow mama let’s just say the game changed! I was able to use the soft bristles on the opposite side and a circular motion to massage the cradle cap out of his hair.
- Baby brush- Me and my mom searched high and low for this bad boy. It seemed all the stores had some super high tech fancy brush and I just refused to spend over $3 on a soft bristled baby brush. Let’s just say a Cookie Monster one from the dollar store, did its job and more.
- Mama’s hands- Even though my parents hate it and want me to slick down Tate’s hair so bad, his dad and I are feeling the curly look. So using my hands I pull all the curls upwards towards the middle to achieve his “curly fro”.
Styling Solution (use another word)
- Johnson & Johnson’s baby oil- I used this for a while in the beginning. It reminded me of the typical baby smell and I loved it. However it wasn’t helping my baby’s curl pattern or growth.
- Water- All my natural mama’s know water is the key to life. Wetting his brush before his current styling oil helps give his hair the base it needs for styling.
- Shea Moisture Raw Coconut Oil- I love this stuff! This is our current styling product and I even use it on myself now. After being suggested this product by a fellow mama, I brought and tried this product and started seeing results right away. It wasn’t only lighter in weight than other products we tried but it also helped my baby’s hair grow drastically.
Styling Tate’s hair is one of my easiest tasks in the morning. A little water, a little brush, a little oil and “wah- lah”, he’s good to go. Finding the right combination of products was essential for this easy routine. I’d love to know if you’ve tried any of these products and how they’ve worked for you!