It’s no secret we all get stressed around the holidays.
I mean the party planning, gift searching, gift ideas, food prep, home decorating and so much more, is enough to drive anyone a little cray cray.
That’s why it’s so important to me to decrease stress around the holidays.
As a mom of a toddler it’s almost a full time job in the month of December playing Santa, Elf on the Shelf and Mommy.
The constant running can sometimes cause us to feel slightly burnt out at the end of the holiday season.
You know the feeling mama, all Grinch and no Elf joy? I know I get it.
And unfortunately, that’s just in time for the New Year when we should be beefing up for our resolutions. No one wants to start the year off already behind. I mean motherhood is already enough!
So this holiday season I’m implementing some new tips to help me keep the stress low and the holiday joy high.
Tips to Decrease Stress During the Holidays:
- Planning. Whew if only I could do this with all my life. But I am happy to report 3 weeks away from Christmas and Mommy Claus is already done all her shopping for her little elf. By planning the gifts I wanted him to get in advance, I was able to knock out my purchases, not have to rush, and even spread them throughout paychecks. Win, win, win!
- Execute. Planning is cute. But what about actually getting the task done? When are you going to Target? When are you ordering that from Amazon? Don’t have a cute list and let it sit until December 20th. That defeats the purpose. Once you get your list done actually EXECUTE the plan! P.S. you can also include this step in your planning step as well.
- Cut off time. This ones important. All the planning and executing honestly can add up to be stress in itself. Cut it off. For example you can say, 10pm no more shopping, planning, or executing. The only thing getting done is a cup of milk and bed. Having a definitive time to stop working helps you to decrease stress around the holiday season. This is important to getting up and going again the next day.
- Self Care. You just knew I was going to squeeze this in there right? Well it needs to be squeezed into your days too. Wherever, whenever, just take the time. In this blog post I show you how I’m getting some holiday self care done and times where you can get some done too! And if you’re looking for some self care gifts for yourself mama, this holiday this ones a good one too!
- Mindset check. I put this one last because honestly, I felt it would be a good wrap up for the season. After the year we’ve had, we absolutely have to be gentle with yourself. If you couldn’t get everything on your kids list, cut yourself a break. If it’s the 3rd week of December and the Christmas lights or tree isn’t up, that’s okay. And if Elf on the Shelf is literally just moving from countertop to countertop around the kitchen, it’s just going to have to do. Give yourself grace mama, you deserve it.
As we try to decrease stress around the holidays we have to keep these tips in mind. Life will always move fast, but let’s remember that Jesus is the reason for this season and joy should be throughout. Material things don’t matter as much as you do mama. We’re almost out this year, let’s stand strong.
Take care of you too mama,