We are yet at the end of another week and somehow they keep seeming to come and go faster each week.
I hope you have many, many fun things planned for this weekend.
Me on the other hand my entire plan is like Rihanna said; WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK.
I’m not sure why I don’t talk a lot about my actual profession. Friends, readers and followers do tend to have a lot of questions about me being a nurse. But for some reason I just don’t overly share.
But my hope is to change that starting today.
As a mom you definitely need self care but honestly, when you throw on another title on top of that one it gets more necessary.
And the title “nurse” is a special one.
You spend all day taking care of patients, their parents, their family, sometimes even your co-workers. At the end of the day it’s easy to feel like you’ve given your entire self to your job.
As a nurse you have to decompress.
It’s not only a good idea, it’s imperative to your health.
Here’s my top 5 tips to decompress as a nurse:
- Take a minute before going in the house after work. Mom or not, the second you walk into work the tasks begin. The kids need something, you see the food you left out last night needs putting away, the dog needs to go out; and the list could go on. Just take a few seconds/ minutes before walking in your house and relax your mind. I love to sit out in my car (maybe not right in the drive away if Tate’s there) and just wait before going in. You can use this time to scroll IG, close your eyes, short meditation, whatever!
- Listen to your favorite song while driving home. Okay music is life we all know that, so use it! On your way home jam OUT to your favorite song to lower your blood pressure! A twist to this is the opposite, maybe let silence be your favorite song coming home. Sometimes that’s amazing after all the beeps and bells of the hospital.
- Take a few extra min in the shower. We all shower when we get home so we mind as well enjoy it! Take a few extra minutes and de-stress!
- Sleep in! Night shift mama, you know sleeping when we get off is almost imperative, so why not extend it! Remove the guilt and get you a few extra moments of sleep.
- Have a zoom call or brunch date with co-workers. Being around like minded individuals helps us feel better understood. Spend some time outside of work for a change and let your hair down!
Initially reading these I’m sure you were thinking “with what extra time”. But the reality is, whatever is important to us we make time for. And as a nurse, you need to make time for these tips to decompress.
Make time for yourself mama.
Take care of you too,